Privacy and Cookies Policy
This is the Privacy & Cookies Policy (the ‘PCP’) of Local and Independent Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales with a company registration number of 13011605 and with its registered office at 45 Replingham Road, London, England, SW18 5LT (hereafter “Local and Independent”, “we” or “us”). This PCP describes the ways in which we collect and use information about our users (hereafter ‘you’ or ‘users’) when you visit and/or use our Website. If you have any queries about this PCP please contact us using the contact details below.
- Who this PCP applies to: This PCP applies to any person who uses our Website whether you are selling or purchasing Produce available on our Website. By accessing or using our Website you agree to be bound by this PCP. We may change this PCP at any time. We shall deem your continued use of our Website as indicating your consent to such changes.
- Information we collect from you: When you sign up to an account on our Website and when you use our Website we collect the following information from you:
- upon sign-up (whether you are a Vendor or customer) we collect your full name, user name, your e-mail address (including any email associated with your payment provider’s account), your password and details of the device you are using;
- details in relation to your use of our Website, including the Vendor Pages that you have visited and the Produce that you have viewed;
- if you are a customer and place an order via the Website, the shipping address to which the Produce shall be delivered and any other details required to carry out such delivery e.g., a telephone number;
- your IP address or the internet browser which you are using when you use our Website; and
- information collected by the cookies and similar technologies as provided in paragraph 10 below and in the table below at the bottom of this PCP.
- Collecting your financial information: Your financial details are collected and used by our payment processor, namely Stripe, when you purchase the Produce on the Website. Otherwise, the only financial details we will hold are the records of your transactions.
- How we use information collected from people who use our Website: The information is used for our own business management purposes and also in order to provide the best service possible via our Website, including to allow the Vendor to fulfil its contractual duties in delivering the Produce to each customer. We may also use your information to:
- help you access your information after you sign in and remember information for future visits;
- complete your transactions using the Website;
- facilitate the improvement of our Website and your experience of our Website and to develop and test our Website;
- provide technical support in relation to user enquires, resolving disputes, collecting fees and troubleshooting;
- monitor numbers of visitors, traffic and demographic patterns;
- prevent fraud or illegal activities;
- provide information about other products and services. From time to time (and where permitted to do so under applicable data protection and direct marketing laws) we may send you information about our Website and other goods and services which we think may be of interest to you. You can tell us to stop this at any time by sending an e-mail to email@example.com;
- contact you with our online marketing materials, by email, text or phone, which you can unsubscribe from at any time; and
- share with third parties for the purposes as described in paragraph 5 below.
- Sharing information with third parties: We may, subject to their obligations to comply with applicable data protection legislation, share your information with third parties including:
- with various third party service providers that assist us in running our business, such as our web hosting company, our e-mail marketing provider and other similar service providers;
- in relation to the sale of some or all of our business, or its assets, to any third party, or as part of any business restructuring or reorganisation, but we will take steps with the aim of ensuring that your privacy rights continue to be protected;
- our payment provider, namely Stripe, in order for it to fully complete the order;
- in anonymised form with data aggregators and service providers as part of an analysis of user metrics or sales performance;
- with law enforcement agencies in compliance with law enforcement.
- Processing ground: Local and Independent relies on the contractual necessity processing ground in order to collect the information stated at paragraphs 2(a) and 2(c) as this information is required for Local and Independent to fulfil its obligations as sales agent for each Vendor. Local and Independent relies on the consent processing ground in order to collect the information stated at paragraph 2(e), such consent obtained via the use of its cookie banner when you first enter the Website. For the remaining information set out at paragraph 2, Local and Independent relies on the legitimate interests processing ground. The items of personal data collected are, in being limited to “business card” and “technical” type data, not of a nature whereby your rights and freedoms as a data subject are outweighed by such data collection.
- Links to third party websites: We are not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other sites even if you access such sites using links from our Website. We recommend that you check the policy of each site you visit and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions. In addition, if you link to our Website from a third party site or via a social network (e.g. Twitter, Facebook), we are not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners or operators of that third party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third party site and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
- Security and Retention: We have implemented technology and policies to safeguard your privacy from unauthorised access and improper use. Our physical servers are operated by a dedicated third party service within the EU. We only retain the data that we collect about you for as long as is reasonably necessary based on the purposes for which it was originally collected and, in any event, we delete data we hold about you in relation to our Website if you have not accessed signed into your account in the previous 2 years.
- Local and Independent’s policy towards children: We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information in relation to children under the age of 18. If we discover that we have collected personal data in relation to any children under 18 we shall delete such information.
- Cookies and similar technologies:
- Disabling Cookies: The use of the cookies described above improves the functionality of our Website and your experience using it. If you do not want these cookies to be served on your device, you are able to disable them by changing the settings on your browser, or on your device. Please note that if you do decide to disable cookies you may not be able to access all or part of our Website, some of the features of our Website or our Website may not function properly. By continuing to use our Website, including using social networking media functionality, you consent to the relevant cookies being set on your device.
- More information: To find out more about how cookies work, how to manage and delete them and to see which ones have been set please visit aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Cookies we use: Descriptions of the cookies used by our Website, and in connection with our Website are provided in the Table below.
- Device Identifiers: When you use a mobile device to access our Website, we may access, collect, monitor, store on your device, and/or remotely store one or more “device identifiers.” Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device’s operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by us. A device identifier may deliver information to us or to a third party partner about how you browse and use our Website and may help us or others provide reports or personalized content and ads.
Table: Cookies used in our Website
Store front end
Helps WooCommerce determine when cart contents/data changes.
Helps WooCommerce determine when cart contents/data changes.
Contains a unique code for each customer so that it knows where to find the cart data in the database for each customer.
Powers the Recent Viewed Produce widget.
Allows customers to dismiss the Store Notice.
Store dashboard ( /wp-admin ):
Allows dashboard users to dismiss Marketplace suggestions, if enabled.
Count of suggestion dismissals, if enabled.
Stores a randomly-generated anonymous ID. This is only used within the dashboard (/wp-admin) area and is used for usage tracking, if enabled.
- Notification with the Information Commissioner: We have notified the Information Commissioner of our role as a ‘data controller’ under the Data Protection (Charges and Information) Regulations 2018 and have paid the required Data Protection fee.
- Website Terms and Definitions: This PCP forms part of our Website Terms at https://localandindependent.com/terms-conditions/. Except otherwise used in this PCP, all capitalised words have the meaning as defined in our Terms of Sale or Vendor Terms (as applicable).
- Contact details: If at any time you would like to contact Local and Independent about your views on this PCP or any enquiry relating to your personal information, you can do so by sending an e-mail to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at our correspondence address: FAO Data Privacy, 45 Replingham Road, London, England, SW18 5LT.